Friday, November 20, 2009

Under The Oak

If you know, at least a decent amount, you'd know I'm not too fond of poetry. (Yes, sorry to all my friends who write poems) I would never go out of my way to read one. But I was reading this book (My Sister's Keeper, finalement! Thank you, Rashmi) and there was this poem I couldn't help but google- Under The Oak- D.H Lawrence. It's beautiful! I think he's talking about how he should be admiring the beauty of nature, he's consumed by darkness and doesn't know how to enjoy, looks at things too sharply.

You, if you were sensible,
When I tell you the stars flash signals, each one dreadful,
You would not turn and answer me
"The night is wonderful."

Even you, if you knew
How this darkness soaks me through and through, and infuses
Unholy fear in my vapor, you would pause to distinguish
What hurts, from what amuses.

For I tell you
Beneath this powerful tree, my whole soul's fluid
Oozes away from me as a sacrifice steam
At the knife of a Druid.

Again I tell you, I bleed, I am bound with wit hies,
My life runs out.
I tell you my blood runs out on the floor of this oak,
Gout upon gout.

Above me springs the blood-born mistletoe
In the shady smoke.
But who are you, twittering to and fro
Beneath the oak?

What thing better are you, what worse?
What have you to do with the mysteries
Of this ancient place, of my ancient curse?
What place have you in my histories?

9 comments:

  1. Ok... yea, I get it..not.

    And sister's keeper....kaisa hei g? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE THE BOOK! >.<
    Okay, it wasn't completely predictable (which is good and my hating it has nothing to do with me hating it)...
    BUT it was sooooo effing depressing... Like I'm failing Math cuz I was too depressed to study... :P (Yes, I would have failed anyway, BUT out of a 100 mark paper, I left 52!)

    And poetry (or other forms of literature) is open to discussion and understanding (in your case not understanding :P)

    I do visit, no one bothers replying... And I was in Goa till day-before... :P And I have my SAT on the 5th... >.< And my BCL Debates are going on right now...
    Yes, I'm fucked.
    How you doing? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the 48 did u good, no?
    Poetry is good, when it isn't toooo deep n has a steady theme to it. [I spent three months preparing an extensive report on Victorian poets for 20marks.That was SOME work]

    And goaaa...!! :D
    How was the SAT?

    On n I'm ok..! Just mindfucked with padhai stuff..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a 26, and I got my results today... WOOT! Not :( And my phone (and iPod) had been confiscated till today...
    Victorian poets! Now that sounds like fun! :P
    Anyway, I enjoy food for thought, it's fun to put your meanings to things that otherwise make no sense, in other words, PLAY THE CONTROLLER OF THE UNIVERSE (the universe of Poetry, anyway)
    Goa was awesomness, SAT probably stands for SUCK ALL TIMES! I gave a practice test and I got a 1590. And I the real one was probably even lesser...

    Babe, sabhko padhai ki padi hain, kyyun? Hum baccho ko aazadi kab miligi?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Azaadi ka toh malum nai dost.
    My prelims got over today.
    The story is, well, the same.
    And I have another set of prelims in jan. :(

    Mr. and Mrs. Parents won't allow me for an x'mas bash n new year's clubbing, for absolutely no fault of mine.
    So, yea.. its The Fucked up times all over again. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. They suck na? Prelims I mean. Tests in any form. GRRRR*
    But why do you have to prelims again? Yeh toh vellapanti hain! They don't know how to treat students right!

    But why no party? I'm not allowed New Years, so I'm bringing the party home ;)
    Actually, it's just a chillout thing, not much, but there's booze, food and people. Doesn't get better! :P

    ReplyDelete

shoot this post down!